February 27, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on My Way to Moscow

At Book Club today, we reviewed last month's book, Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer, and it reminded me of what happened last week. She's actually written three books, with Twilight being the first in the series. I had already finished the first two, and had the third in my bag to read on the plane up to Moscow to see Jake and Lindsay and baby Reese.

I have to say they're not my most favorite books, but they are interesting in an odd sort of way--they're about vampires and werewolves, not my usual genre. Stephanie Meyer is a good writer and storyteller, though, and I like her choice of words and her descriptions.

Here's the story...
Kirt had just dropped me off at the airport to catch my flight to Moscow. Security lines were very short, so I was there in plenty of time. I pulled out the third book, Eclipse, and started to read. A short time later, my cell phone rang.
"Lorrie Naylor?"
"Yes?"
"This is Alaska Airlines--where are you?"
"I'm in the waiting room, waiting for my flight to be called."
"We've called your flight--didn't you hear us? (Apparently not.) Everyone's boarded but you."
"Uh--okay--sorry--I'm coming!" By this time, I was on my feet, stuffing my book in my bag. I turned to look at the check in counter, they must have recognized my franic look, because they waved at me. I waved back, and made a run for it.
"Don't worry, you're okay. You don't have to run to the plane."
I walked very fast, nonethless.
Fortunately, I made the flight (it was early, even!)

Kirt has commented once or twice or maybe more, that when I'm reading, I don't listen really well, and he's right.

1 comment:

Malorie said...

when I'm reading, I don't hear a single thing. And I agree with you, those books were not my favorite. I read the first two, and then read the synopsis of the third one on wikipedia. She's so whiny...it got old. And I loved picturing you running with a panicked look on your face towards the plane.