February 17, 2010

experiments in cooking

Posted by PicasaYesterday I came across a recipe for lemon curd. I love lemony things, and this looked easy. I had made K a strawberry pie for Valentine's Day, and had a little crust left over, which would be a perfect way to try the lemon curd. The recipe was easy, but I had a hard time knowing how long to cook it. When chilled, it had a great taste, but was a little grainy. Oddly, though, the graininess disappeared once it was in my mouth, leading me to believe that the butter hadn't gotten all the way melted, which was impossible, since little bubbles were forming. I mentioned to to Kenz, one of my daughters who is very adventuresome when it comes to cooking and baking. She has also never made lemon curd, but wanted to try it. In some reading last night, she came across a recipe for lemon cream, which is similar to curd, and her recipe gave some solutions for problems. She told me that I would need to re-emulsify the mix in a double boiler while constantly whisking. I did it, and it turned out perfectly!
How did it taste? Absolutely delicious!

2 comments:

kenzie said...

awesome! I'm glad it worked. Too bad I couldn't taste it! I will have to make it.

Mark and Kris said...

yum, i would love the recipe, so share please.