May 2, 2009

Tough Love

While we were in McCall for a week with our kids, everything bloomed! This is our Profusion Crabapple tree.
I love it's hot pink buds that turn a softer pink. This morning, a hummingbird was flitting in and out. Delightful!
We planted the lilac 8 years ago, and have waited in vain for blossoms. Every year, the same thing happened--lots of green leaves, and buds, but then they would shrivel and die before blooming. Last fall, Kirt's dad came and put some magical concoction on it's roots. On line, I read about possible problems--too much nitrogen, (Kirt may have gotten too close with lawn fertilizer, so he was extra careful this past year) too young a bush, (maybe the first year, but definitely not year 7!) not enough water, (never a problem in this particular garden) then THIS...
not TALKING to your lilac. After reading that one, I went out, and my lilac and I had a little chat. I did most of the talking. The conversation went pretty much like this: "Look, I love you a lot, but you're disappointing me. I have nurtured you for seven years, only asking for some purple flowers in return only once a year, and I'm not getting that from you. I need to tell you that if you don't start producing, A LOT, then you're out of here. It would hurt me to do that, and definitely hurt you, so don't make do it! Bloom this year! Please! I love you!" The lilac rustled it's leaves a little, and I believed it would try it's hardest. The result? For the first year ever, we got lilac blooms, lots of them! It's been wonderful. And my lilac can stay! We're both relieved!






2 comments:

Mark and Kris said...

Can I say....you are going a little crackers? Talking to the lilac bush is just a little bizarre. It worked though..I am so glad you got those beautiful blooms. Good job to all those who helped out solve the mystery.

Sijbrich said...

I'm so glad to hear that your therapy session with the lilac bush was successful and that you've made amends.:-)