May 21, 2009

another perfect lunch!

Last summer I posted a picture of a BLT--my favorite summertime lunch. Here's another new favorite--Cream of Aspargus soup--made even more perfect when served in my Buffalo china cup! (I have green Buffalo china cups, but the greens together just weren't right!) The recipe is from Everyday Foods. I will tell you right now I halved it, and there was plenty! I had to call Mal once to find out what shallots are--they're green onions. I didn't have green onions, so I just used onion, and it tasted great.

Cream of Aspargus Soup
3 T. Butter
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped shallots (about 6 large)
1/2 t. dried thyme
3 T. flour
3# asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
coarse salt
1/3 c. heavy cream
2-3 T fresh lemon juice
*3 cups chicken broth (the recipe just says to cook asparagus in water, I used broth instead)

In a large 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme, cook until shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour, cook until incorporated, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add aparagus and 6 cups of water*, season generously with salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until aparagus is bright green and just tender, 2-4 minutes.

Working in batches, puree soup in a blender til very smooth. To prevent splattering, fill blender only halfway, and allow heat to escape: remove can from hole in lid, and cover lid with a dish towel. If serving right away, stir in cream and lemon juice.

To freeze, leave out cream and lemon juice. Cool to room temp before dividing amoung airtight containers, leaving 1 inch of headspace. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost overnight in refrigerator, reheat over low heat. Stir in cream and lemon juice before serving.

Delish!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

kenzie said...

yum! Actually, shallots are onion-like but smaller, they look like large garlic cloves that are reddish-brown. Scallions are the other names for green onions. All in the onion family! Shallots are sweeter and milder than onions. I'll have to try it!