October 19, 2008

Now You See It, Now You Don't

Remember my beautiful garden? This is a picture of it in August, and it looked like this up until October 8, when it was rumored we would have our first frost. I worked in my garden, and cut a fresh bouquet of zinnia on Ocober 8. It was 70 degrees.

This is my garden now. It did frost early in the morning on October 9, and it was looking sad that morning as right before I left for Buffalo. While we were in Buffalo, Boise has it's earliest recordable snowfall EVER--an inch and a half fell on Friday night, October 10. That totally did my garden in. So I came home to find this! The good news is that the grapes benefit from a frost--it makes them sweeter, and it hardens the squash off, so that's good. My only survivor was a pumpkin, in my southern garden. He still wasn't orange, so I put a little tent over him. He's still green, but getting less so each day.
It's always a bittersweet time, when the frost comes. I love fall, and everything about it, but I know in a couple of weeks I'll be longing for a fresh tomato or zucchini. Oh well, I guess it's time to move indoors and start quilting!



1 comment:

kenzie said...

its the end of an era. for this year. bring on 2009!