May 9, 2010

Look Who's Crafty Now...

Last week, K told that he was getting ready to recognize his graduates in YM, but wanted to do something special for them. I offhandedly said he could make the little mortarboard hats out of peanut butter cups and chocolate covered graham crackers, figuring that he would roll his eyes because that's such a YW or RS thing to do! No response. So I added that ice cream bars would also be good. I looked over at him (I had been drying some dishes) and could tell by the look on his face he was thinking about something. Then he said, "I kind of like the idea of the hats. How could we make them?" I was stunned. This, from the man who poo-poos tablecloths, centerpieces, and all the effort the sisters take.

So he looked on the internet for ideas, and yesterday, he got to work. I have to say that I unwrapped cups, and cut the little tassles, but other than that, he did all the work. I took photos--there is no way I'll ever let this moment get away!



After putting a dot of peanut butter frosting (my idea, btw, but a bad one--it might of worked if we would of had creamy peanut butter!, sorry, K!) He's putting the tops on..

then adding the tassels and the m&m button...

He's so intent!

And here's the finished product!

Let me add that I have an extra tablecloth in my YW closet should he ever feel the need!, But, GOOD JOB, K!

We also had our crafty bracelet-making night in YW this week. Jake had brought back these cute little people for me from his mission in Argentina. I wore them on a necklace for a long time, then the chain broke, and I never got a new one. I had this bracelet that I made a while back with M&M when they were in high school, but it also broke, so I took the opportunity to repair it, and while I was restringing, I added my people as charms, and I love how it looks. Now I have the best of two things--a bracelet I made with my two daughters, and the charms from my son!
Happy Mother's Day to me!

4 comments:

linds said...

Look at you Martha Kirtlan!

kenzie said...

great job! looks great.

Sijbrich said...

He looks like he might actually be enjoying it. Before you know it, he's going to be quilting with you.

Lorrie said...

I don't think he'll ever quilt with me, but he is pretty good about going to a quilt store with me (if we're not in Boise, that is, and I've made him stop)and even picks out awesome fabrics! And one year he was in charge of a "man-craft" at our reunion!