August 12, 2008

The Great Huckleberry Adventure

This is the beginning . . . see that little tiny berry between Mal's thumb and finger? That's a huckleberry! Very, very small. I went huckleberrying two years ago, and after an hour of picking with little to show, vowed I wouldn't come back without helpers.







This picture shows Kenzie holding a glass that is mostly empty. It has ten huckleberries in it.





Lindsay has picked a few on our first day...
Jon has done even better!


Here's Mackenzie (white shirt), Malorie (orange shirt) and me searching for our treasure. I'm holding one little huckleberry, though the only way you know it is from the smile on my face!

Here's our bounty after the first day of picking--in order from left to right--Kirt's cup, Lorrie's cup, Jon's cup, Lindsay's cup, Mackenzie's cup, and Malorie's cup. Looks like Lindsay is the winner, with Jon in second place. The second day of picking has us with less pickers, and the berries were a little harder to find!




Our fingers are a little stained here, and here's Kirt, looking very proud of his cup.

Here is the combined results of our labors--we picked for about an hour an a half on the first day, after a half an hour of driving up and down Warren Wagon Road, looking for the logging road I'd only been on once before. I've also only done this once, so we found a couple of bushes that looked like they might be huckleberries, but they weren't. I should know. I tasted the look-alikes, realized after swallowing the first that the texture and flavor were wrong, the second was so bitter, I just spit it out! I'm still alive and well, though! My thanks to my helpers--they have been rewarded with huckleberry pancakes, and huckleberry milkshakes!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Here is how to make them taste even better: Place in freezer, remove from freezer, let sit in heat for an appropriate amount of time to allow proper fermentation, enjoy!