November 6, 2009

Leek Soup

This past summer I grew leeks in my garden. I thought that sometime I had heard K say he liked leeks. As it turns out, K never said that, so I have no idea WHY I planted leeks, but I did--lots of them. I had to pull them all up so I could till the garden in preparation for spring planting, so I needed to figure out what to make with them. I asked Grandpa N., thinking that is where I got the idea for the leeks. He grew them once, but doesn't have any particular use or longing for them. I turned to a trusted site, "Epicurious" to browse for recipes, and found this one! It uses 3 pounds of leeks, plus a lot of other tasty ingredients. Today is a rainy day, so it seemed a perfect time to try a new soup recipe for lunch. With a piece of toast, it was perfect!

If you're interested in the recipe, go to epicurious.com and search for "creamy leek soup". The recipe notes that you should make this a day or two ahead "to allow flavors to develop", but I ate it pretty much right as it came out of the blender, and I can't imagine the flavors being any better developed than what they were, but I'll find out tomorrow at lunch.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Some of the best British food I had contained leeks- chicken and leek pot pie was among my favorites. mmmm I love leeks.

Sijbrich said...

Yum. I love leeks, too. A few years ago we discovered a potato and leek soup recipe in a book someone gave us when we got married. I just made it again the other day and it was so good. Yours looks delicious, too.

Tyler said...

love those mugs!