September 6, 2009

September Garden

After a few weeks off, the roses are back!

The basil has been fabulous in spaghetti sauce and salad!
If only my gardening pal were here to eat the new berry-berries!
Red celebrity tomatoes, with plenty of green still to ripen!
Raspberries! There were more, but I confess, I ate them!
Jalepeno peppers--awesome in salsa!

The zucchini is looking a little worse for the wear, but still producing. After being in McCall last week for 6 days, we came home to 6 arm-sized zucchini. But I found good homes for them all!
Butternut squash--not quite ready, but close!
Victoria grape tomatoes--perfect for popping in your mouth!
Grapes are close, too. They look great on one side, but the other is still green. A few more weeks ought to do it!
The zinnia are as tall, or taller than I am!
The new white peach tree had a single peach on it. We picked it tonight and ate it--it was delicious!
I also still have some green beans, but by September, they're not a pretty picture!

September is always a bittersweet month in the garden. In some ways, I'm ready for it to be over so I can move inside to other projects, like quiltmaking. In other ways, it's tough. I won't have another decent tomato til next July. No more fresh green beans or zucchini! But it's not over til the frost hits, or at least til I forget to cover everything one night. It's been a great gardening year!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Deeeelicious! Thanks for sharing your veggies with us. We've loved em'!

It was fun to run into you this morning. You're looking good, my running friend!

Sijbrich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sijbrich said...

I love your grapes! Thanks for sharing them with us every year.