June 15, 2008

Three Generations of Fathers

Jake--new dad in 2008, Marlow--new dad in 1955, Kirt--new dad in 1983


Today is Father's Day. I hosted three fathers at my home for dinner. Jake is the newest dad, with Reese born on January 31, 2008. He is a great dad. He's not afraid of dirty diapers, slobber, or late night. He loves his little Reese. When we hear the garage door open around 5pm (Jake, Lindsay, and Reese are living with us for the summer while Jake is doing an internship), we tell Reese, "Your daddy is home!", and Reese just beams and is so happy!

Marlow has been a dad since 1955. He is a wonderful father to his four children, Mike, Carrie Lou, Kirt and Bart, and loves their spouses (Peggy, Ron, me, and Kirsten) as is they were his own. He is also an outstanding grandfather to 9 grandchildren, and now has 5 great-grandchildren. He is quick to help (we know, he's bailed us out many a time!) and is a joy to have around.

Kirt became a dad in 1983 when Jacob was born, and again in 1985, with the additions of Mackenzie and Malorie. He always has time for his kids, no matter how busy he is. He is a wonderful counselor, but doesn't give advice unless he's asked. Kirt has a great sense of humor, and also loves Lindsay, Tyler and Jon as if they were his own. Kirt recently became a grandfather when Jake became a dad.

We are blessed to have wonderful fathers in our lives. My dad recently passed away on May 27, 2008, and I am thankful for all he taught me, and how he loved me. Here is a favorite photo of us taken on December 24, 2003.

4 comments:

Kirt said...

Lorrie, that was very kind, but I'm really wondering who would agree that I only give "counsel" when asked for? I seem to be free with my advice. Don't you think?

linds said...

Those are some good looking men! Not only are they good looking, but some of the best men I know! Happy father's day to you all! I love you so very much! (P.S. Nice hair cut, Jake! It looks great!)

Mark and Kris said...

What a great post! It is so great to see who is doing what, and Marlow looks so great, as do Kirt and Jake. I agree with Kirt, he is great at giving free advice. And that is a compliment Kirt! I always value what you say. Hope you have a great year and heal really well (leg) :)

stevenandjanalee.blogspot.com said...

I love the picture of you and Dad and it is a great picture to remember him with. I miss him today.